Monday, October 11, 2010

Cincinnati Cyclocross - Dropping Chain Sucks!

We don't force racers to use certain parts, that is up to their teams.

We do suggest to them what could happen. Think of being in a big race and your chain "sucks".

Time for a chain catcher!

Sue was in a chase group behind Compton that included Antonneau, van Gilder, Sue Butler (WN Hudz-Subaru), Maureen Bruno Roy (Bob’s Red Mill), and Ashley James (Kenda).

“I washed out my front wheel,” said Van Gilder. “I wasn’t sure if they knew they had gapped me. When I closed the gap, I went to the front because I wanted to be in front through the sand so they wouldn’t gap me again and I used that last lap as a recovery lap.”

As Compton rode in for her third consecutive win of the weekend, the race for second heated up behind, as Van Gilder and Antonneau orbited the final lap in pursuit of the next podium place. A savvy Van Gilder attacked Antonneau on the circuit’s steep finishing hill. She gained the small gap she needed to ride in for second place several seconds ahead of Antonneau.

James fought her way into a respectable fourth place ahead of Butler, who dropped her chain on the last lap but managed to hang on for fifth place.

Brief Results

Result
1Katherine Compton (USA) Planet Bike
2Laura Van Gilder (USA) C3 -- Athletes Serving Athletes
3Kaitlin Antonneau (USA) Cannondale-Cyclocrossworld
4Susan Butler (USA) Hudz Subaru

No comments: